Author Topic: Cold Reading VS Fairytale - READ IF YOU ARE NEW  (Read 3093 times)

Offline jhuskindle

Cold Reading VS Fairytale - READ IF YOU ARE NEW
« on: January 28, 2019, 10:26:47 PM »
Since there are so many newbies suddenly, I thought I’d post another one of those insanely long lists of things to look out for while getting readings. #1 95% of psychics on any site, or ever, are shams, just doing it for $$. 5% are real psychics But not all share the same gifts.

First and foremost let me talk to you about FAIRYTALE READERS. These are readers who will tell anyone with romantic interest they will be living the dream, here are some things they will say:
- You will marry or be with POI,  usually gives a time frame
- Reviews will be almost all positive, with terms like “put my mind at ease” “Has helped me through this journey”  usually people come back for years always wanting to hear what they want to hear. These are ridiculously extra common on PO and Keen and KAsamba. These readers tend to be highest ranked because, hello, they tell people what they want to hear.
- I see a ring, so committment
- I see Keys, so you will move in together
- He is sad without you
- He loves you so much (why doesn’t he show it then? Why are you talking to a psychic?)
- He is just scared, HE WILL CHANGE

Cold reading, on the other hand, has a set series of psychological terms that can be used to “prove” the reading. My favorite lines:

- Love, Dear, Beautiful (pet names)
- You are soulmates
- Woman from his past letter M but not to worry about her
- Scar on your knee
- You are kind/good natured so people take you for granted/take advantage of you
- You are beautiful on the inside and the outside

There are a lot more, we’ve posted a few threads on these. The difference isn’t much, most will feed you happy outcomes, but fairytale readers in my opinion are more dangerous because they give you nothing to go by at all, besides the hope of the partner. For example, once a cold reader calls me nice, I can immediately negate the reading. I’m friendly, not nice at all. No one on earth has accused me of being nice.

But a fairytale reader gives you the intangible, “He thinks of you at night, when he is sad, and he wishes he could change, and he will change, you will see him back to you in April, he thinks of you always and you have a psychic link blah blah”

There’s nothing to disprove the reading there, and in fact, many people do have intuitive links with people they care for.

Now not always are these terms going to be WRONG, sometimes people really do get married, but its more likely that they wont, and certainly a combination of them should be your reality check. Please take psychic readings with a grain of salt, so you don’t hold on the dangerous false hope from the 95% of pretend psychics that saturate the market.

I also want to mention because it came up on another thread- ALL reviews are PUBLIC and they can find your details and put 2x2 together from these reviews. DO NOT post personal info on a public review because the psychic can use your posts to identify you. This is all pro tips for newcomers! And yes a LOT of people on here are shills for psychics, and a LOT of psychics know and read the reviews here so be careful of identifying markers!

- Your board Psychic
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:39:15 PM by jhuskindle »

ladya

Re: Cold Reading VS Fairytale - READ IF YOU ARE NEW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 10:32:38 PM »
Since there are so many newbies suddenly, I thought I’d post another one of those insanely long lists of things to look out for while getting readings. #1 95% of psychics on any site, or ever, are shams, just doing it for $$. 5% are real psychics But not all share the same gifts.

First and foremost let me talk to you about FAIRYTALE READERS. These are readers who will tell anyone with romantic interest they will be living the dream, here are some things they will say:
- You will marry or be with POI,  usually gives a time frame
- Reviews will be almost all positive, with terms like “put my mind at ease” “Has helped me through this journey”  usually people come back for years always wanting to hear what they want to hear. These are ridiculously extra common on PO and Keen and KAsamba. These readers tend to be highest ranked because, hello, they tell people what they want to hear.
- I see a ring, so committment
- I see Keys, so you will move in together
- He is sad without you
- He loves you so much (why doesn’t he show it then? Why are you talking to a psychic?)
- He is just scared, HE WILL CHANGE

Cold reading, on the other hand, has a set series of psychological terms that can be used to “prove” the reading. My favorite lines:

- Love, Dear, Beautiful (pet names)
- You are soulmates
- Woman from his past letter M but not to worry about her
- Scar on your knee
- You are kind/good natured so people take you for granted/take advantage of you
- You are beautiful on the inside and the outside

There are a lot more, we’ve posted a few threads on these. The difference isn’t much, most will feed you happy outcomes, but fairytale readers in my opinion are more dangerous because they give you nothing to go by at all, besides the hope of the partner. For example, once a cold reader calls me nice, I can immediately negate the reading. I’m friendly, not nice at all. No one on earth has accused me of being nice.

But a fairytale reader gives you the intangible, “He thinks of you at night, when he is sad, and he wishes he could change, and he will change, you will see him back to you in April, he thinks of you always and you have a psychic link blah blah”

There’s nothing to disprove the reading there, and in fact, many people do have intuitive links with people they care for.

Now not always are these terms going to be WRONG, sometimes people really do get married, but its more likely that they wont, and certainly a combination of them should be your reality check. Please take psychic readings with a grain of salt, so you don’t hold on the dangerous false hope from the 95% of pretend psychics that saturate the market.

- Your board Psychic

Scar on knee LOL? People actually say this? I've never heard this line but then again lol idk i dont have a scar on my knee. I havent heard many of these but i will say this: it's common for people to think about other people at night. This is usually when most people do the most thinking. Psychic links do exist with other people cause I've personally experienced them. But a lot of these are just plain funny.

Offline jhuskindle

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 10:36:29 PM »
I admit the scar on the knee was more popular when I was younger, but I’m sure some fair psychics still use it. It was one of the first cold read lines I ever learned. I used to love researching cold reading, and blaming my “psychic abilities” on loose association/lucky guesses/reading subconscious queues.

Offline flora0250

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 10:40:41 PM »
Totally agree that these are good things to be aware of.

Think it bears comment that “dear” and terms of endearment as such does NOT always indicate they are a cold reader. Reason I say this is because it may be a cultural thing in some cases. For me Psychic Shelly said it a lot but she is the only reader where I had specific and exact predictions come true (in the form of markers I wrote about on her specific thread). So it is not always an indicator.

Also I think cold readers trick you by making you ask a question that doesn’t seem specific but when you ask “what do you see regarding a reconnection between me and ___” that already gives them so much info to make their responses *sound* specific to you personally. That’s what makes it a cold reading - is that they then have enough info to go on to know so much so that it makes it that they can psychologically trick you. That’s what I think of as a cold reading sign most of all, that they need a specific question or that they require more info from you and if you don’t give it then accuse you of being closed and blocked off. Watch out for that!!

ladya

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 10:43:33 PM »
Totally agree that these are good things to be aware of.

Think it bears comment that “dear” and terms of endearment as such does NOT always indicate they are a cold reader. Reason I say this is because it may be a cultural thing in some cases. For me Psychic Shelly said it a lot but she is the only reader where I had specific and exact predictions come true (in the form of markers I wrote about on her specific thread). So it is not always an indicator.

Also I think cold readers trick you by making you ask a question that doesn’t seem specific but when you ask “what do you see regarding a reconnection between me and ___” that already gives them so much info to make their responses *sound* specific to you personally. That’s what makes it a cold reading - is that they then have enough info to go on to know so much so that it makes it that they can psychologically trick you. That’s what I think of as a cold reading sign most of all, that they need a specific question or that they require more info from you and if you don’t give it then accuse you of being closed and blocked off. Watch out for that!!

very good point about the cold readers. I agree. They usually try to ask a question and then turn it around and make it as if they its an actual prediction.

Offline HornetKick

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 11:02:48 PM »
You forgot to add Barnum Statements/Effects that goes along with cold readings.
The Barnum effect, also called the Forer effect, is a common psychological phenomenon whereby individuals give high accuracy ratings to descriptions of their personality that supposedly are tailored specifically to them, that are in fact vague and general enough to apply to a wide range of people. This effect can provide a partial explanation for the widespread acceptance of some paranormal beliefs and practices, such as astrology, fortune telling, aura reading, and some types of personality tests.

These characterizations are often used by practitioners as a con-technique to convince victims that they are endowed with a paranormal gift. Because the assessment statements are so vague, people interpret their own meaning, thus the statement becomes "personal" to them. Also, individuals are more likely to accept negative assessments of themselves if they perceive the person presenting the assessment as a high-status professional.

The wiki overview section is a good read as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnum_effect

Offline HornetKick

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 11:11:04 PM »
Yep...that 'keep me posted' line will keep you in the loop or you'll call back to see why such and such hasn't happened only to be told there has been some sort of delay.

Offline flora0250

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 11:13:52 PM »
The Barnum effect, also called the Forer effect, is a common psychological phenomenon whereby individuals give high accuracy ratings to descriptions of their personality that supposedly are tailored specifically to them, that are in fact vague and general enough to apply to a wide range of people. This effect can provide a partial explanation for the widespread acceptance of some paranormal beliefs and practices, such as astrology, fortune telling, aura reading, and some types of personality tests.

These characterizations are often used by practitioners as a con-technique to convince victims that they are endowed with a paranormal gift. Because the assessment statements are so vague, people interpret their own meaning, thus the statement becomes "personal" to them. Also, individuals are more likely to accept negative assessments of themselves if they perceive the person presenting the assessment as a high-status professional.

The wiki overview section is a good read as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnum_effect

Yah! This is what I was trying to inadequately explain :)

Offline jhuskindle

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 11:42:07 PM »

This is PERFECT! And great example of what I mean.
I have also heard of the gifting free minutes to secure return clients, but I always thought of it as a marketing technique and now I am thinking it is also part of their cold read techniques.
Yes yes yes.

Offline Dreamer23

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 03:05:35 AM »
I made another post about this, but something that I get all the time is: POI is too busy with work, doesn't want a relationship. POI has actually never told me those words himself. But I get this a lot in readings.

95% of the time I get something like: POI cares about you, misses you, thinks of you all the time, there is a lot of chemistry, attraction, etc etc   and then comes the ... but ... he is scared, he is busy, etc etc