Author Topic: Thoughts on Tarot?  (Read 4792 times)

Offline sarahkw

Thoughts on Tarot?
« on: March 20, 2013, 04:26:00 AM »
Back when I was calling readers frequently, I realized I didn't much care for tarot readings. I love Barbara - she's been pretty accurate for me. But I feel that while she does read the tarot, she also has a gift of clairvoyance. The tarot cards don't tell her some of the very specific details she picks up on. Overall though, I feel tarot cards are subjective.

Example. A reader once pulled the Queen of Cups regarding a guy I asked about. My question was regarding if there was any romantic potential there. She interpreted the Queen of Cups as another woman and told me how he would be interested but would start dating someone else yet feel guilty.

Having dabbled in attempting to learn to read tarot back in the day and being aware of the other cards in the spread, I interpreted the card entirely differently. The Queen of Cups is typically a sign of a very intuitive woman who symbolizes trusting your own intuition. Had I been reading the deck myself and pulled that card, I would have read it as 'you can trust your own instincts on this.'

Does that make sense?

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on tarot cards and interpretation of them. I've had a couple of decks over the  years and even tried reading the set I currently have earlier this evening after a meditation session only to pull the biggest mess of cards that made zero sense no matter how I tried fitting them together.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:27:45 AM by sarahkw »

Offline hope4love

Re: Thoughts on Tarot?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 05:02:18 AM »
I'm not too fond of tarot myself and this is where the skill of the reader is crucial.  I've read with tarot readers who will give a literal interpretation of the tarot cards which doesn't apply to the situation.  There are readers who use tarot to confirm their clairvoyance without giving the meanings of the cards and that's what I prefer.

I have a deck of Rider Waite tarot cards and I really haven't sat down to learn how to read them for myself. This takes time and practice in order to interpret the cards accurately, I think.
The Queen of Cups is an intuitive woman and the reader who pulled this card could have been referring to you and not another woman. Yes, trust YOUR instincts on this one.

my two cents worth

Offline Truth

• Lookin for the good ones, just like most of you
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 05:50:50 AM »
well, i think readers can have somewhat different meanings for cards. cards themselves are supposed to really just be mirrors of thoughts and feelings in our subconscious. so, while one reader puts down a card and interprets it one way, another reader may associate a different meaning, and therefore read it differently for you. for instance, i regard the 2 of swords being a card of some sort of refusal to take action. like a stalemate. now, i've had some readers tell me they got the 2 of swords and say it means balance and trust. i dont agree with that, but that's what THEIR subconscious is reflecting for them to tell you.

i've studied the tarot for years (i'm not a reader, but i find them fascinating), and what the teachers and books will tell you is you have to stare at, and study, each card. pinpoint things in the cards that make you feel or sense certain things. look at all the colors, symbolism, images, etc and let your intuition tell you what all of it means. there can be different meanings within each card, depending on the question. like the 10 of Pentacles. it could mean inheritance, it could mean family issues, it could mean a lot of money, it could mean a happy home life. it depends on the question. what if i asked - "will jane call me" and i get the 10 of Pentacles. well i guess that could mean a yes, and maybe i get invited to her home, or maybe Jane is part of my family, or Jane is with her family. or if my question was - "will i get a raise", and i get the 10 of Pentacles, it probably means i get a nice raise, and i feel prosperous based on the amount of the raise. this is where knowledge of the cards will help you be flexible with relating the card to the question. some readers don't  have this workable knowledge, and that's where they fall flat. or maybe they only know textbook meanings for the cards, so they can't relate the stuff.

i think i like the tarot a lot because it is a "tool". this gives the reader something to go off of, so it's not like they are just pulling stuff out of thin air. however, i think sometimes the tarot by itself can be limited. take someone like Lakhei. however, i think some readers use it to confirm feelings or intuition they already have so they are more confident in the message. some of these readers are like - Mystic Raven11, Barbara4846, MsDream228, and i'm sure a lot of others.

i guess i just like to know the message is coming from "something" rather than just from their own mind. not to say others aren't right, or their methods aren't right or good. i've talked to people that seem to use no tools and i have had some good readings there too. but having something in front of you seems to be more legitimate to me.

i think sometimes we can get ourselves into a confusing spot if we hear the cards and try to start interpreting them ourselves. if that is the case, then just do your own spreads. you are using someone else as a conduit and trusting in their assessment of the cards or energy they are dealing with.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 06:00:42 AM by Truth »

Offline Awesomeness

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 11:22:09 AM »
I had a picture reading with someone, and she was very accurate. All she had was a photo, no info. Anyway, she was so good, that I gave her a little bit of info to help her make sense of what she was getting. She then offered me a tarot reading. I thought, "She was soo good at reading the photo that the tarot ought to be fantastic!" Not so much. It was so-so. She explained in detail how she was interpreting each card, and I could definitely see how things could be interpreted different ways. It was a good read, but not as intuitive as the picture reading.

Offline sarahkw

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 01:08:39 PM »
@Truth - Well said! I think in the right hands, tarot can be a great tool, like for Barbara for example. But readers do interpret cards differently and you're right - the cards are supposed to be a tool to help tap into your own intuition/reader's intuition. From what I've read/understood, they're not supposed to predict the future, just sort through what is happening right then and there.

TimeHeals

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 02:14:23 PM »
@Truth - Well said! I think in the right hands, tarot can be a great tool, like for Barbara for example. But readers do interpret cards differently and you're right - the cards are supposed to be a tool to help tap into your own intuition/reader's intuition. From what I've read/understood, they're not supposed to predict the future, just sort through what is happening right then and there.

I personally don't like tarot card readings. The reader has to be extremely knowledgeable, well versed. Too many are amateurs. There's so much to know: the different type decks, spreads, position of the cards, the meaning & interpretation of the cards, the influence cards have on each other depending on which cards surround others, etc. 

I've had many card readings in the past, and I never really got anything out of it - nothing very 'solid', so I stayed away from them.  I just don't trust it. Also, I was told by a card reader that I actually went to, that I needed to touch the deck and cut the cards myself. I am by no means well versed in the tarot, just what she had told me.

Personally, I had always preferred those who used NO tools. 

Offline Luckystar

• Veterans
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 03:03:16 PM »
I think i have realized that i like tarot card readings but like you guys have said, it is dangerous if a reader is using them as their main tool and they are not extremely familiar with the cards and their meanings.

@sarakw you said:

Example. A reader once pulled the Queen of Cups regarding a guy I asked about. My question was regarding if there was any romantic potential there. She interpreted the Queen of Cups as another woman and told me how he would be interested but would start dating someone else yet feel guilty.

Did that end up being a correct assessment of the situation? I would have assumed that in the relationship there could have been an emotional connection given that card. Hmm.

Offline sarahkw

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 04:01:43 PM »
I think i have realized that i like tarot card readings but like you guys have said, it is dangerous if a reader is using them as their main tool and they are not extremely familiar with the cards and their meanings.

@sarakw you said:

Did that end up being a correct assessment of the situation? I would have assumed that in the relationship there could have been an emotional connection given that card. Hmm.

To date, it's not correct. The person in question was just a guy I was like 'oh, he's nice. I could really like him,' no more than a basic crush, really. It was a reading from earlier this year and it stuck by me - I always thought of that card one way and her interpretation threw me.

Offline Synergy

• Veterans
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 04:38:40 PM »
What a wonderful, thought-provoking thread!  Truth, great response, as well!  Very informative.

I think I am in the minority in that I prefer tarot readers to "no tools" readers.  This is actually only something I came to realize, as in the past I favored "no tools" readers.  Upon looking back at my almost 3 years of receiving readings, I realize that tarot readers have a better track record for me in the PREDICTIVE sense.  Many "no tools" readers have managed to blow me away with their validations on the past and present, but very few (actually maybe just one) have made accurate predictions.  Honestly, I have no use for a reader who can tell me what I am wearing or what I went through last year.  It's impressive, but I am inquiring about the future, not about the past. 

I do believe there are some terrible tarot readers out there, so it's all a matter of finding one who can interpret the cards well.  I've been lucky to read with a few who I have made accurate predictions.  I don't think cards can see far out, but I do believe they are great for near-future predictions or outcomes that are unlikely to change based on the other parties situation, mindset, etc. 

Offline Awesomeness

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 06:14:18 PM »
Synergy, I could agree with you, just going by track records posted here. Joeana is supposed to be a great predictor, and she uses cards. I have very limited experience so I don't have an opinion either way, other than what I posted above. :)

Offline oben

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 02:27:24 AM »
Synergy I agree with you as well, I have this local tarot reader, who would read the cards only. He provides tones of explanations when he does a reading and when it comes to yes / no readings he pulls five cards, and gives a yes or no answer but reads the cards as well, so the initial yes or no can totally be flipped. He was actually the very first reader I read with, and in my case he was so very much accurate, and by that I mean he made sense... He said it is over, he moved on, you must move on, and at that moment he made complete sense. Then unfortunately I called my very first reader on the CP, Esmeralda and then Phillip and Michael. They all saw him coming back, then I called Kathleen on psychic source or psychic network something like that, and she said no, you are screwed he will not be back an dou will fail the board exams. And she turned to be right. I fails the board exams and he never came back. So I did desperately call over 200 readers to maybe get a clear view of what would happen and no prediction came to pass and eventually I called my local reader again, he did a yes no spread for me and said wow, do not get this very often, it was all yeses. And he made a comment which actually made me come back to my senses, he said this could be really a yes, and he will come back to you, but sometimes tarot cards can give you a warning, which says we already discussed this, but because you do not want to see the reality, we give you a huge yes, so now shut up...and totally made sense to me :)

Angel light

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 03:28:14 PM »
Who is the local reader?

Offline tammyp

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 06:08:43 PM »
I prefer a tarot reader too.  I just feel for me that here is something I can see that is validating what they say, not just pulling things out of thin air.  They do seem to be more accurate for me also.  My reader I use now (after like all of you, spent too much money and talked to too many readers) uses tarot and she also gets images.  I don't ask her for predictions tho.

I have a tarot deck and for the life of me have tried to learn to use them. Sometimes it makes sense and other times its Greek to me.  :)

anything